Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Faith and Toil

Faith and toil.

This system gives no room to be human. There is a formal way of doing everything. Asking why doesn’t feature.

One can ask any teacher who has ever taught me. Not one would disagree that I’m an honest, sincere and exceptionally hardworking student. I come to class on time, I ask questions, do all my work and sometimes even ask for more. I want to learn. And always have.

I’m proud of the fact that I’ve been consistent about the three values that are closest to me in every aspect of life.

Honesty.

Sincerity to everything I commit to.

Acting with love no matter what.

Perhaps I got diarrhea on the day of the microbiology test so that my faith and strong hold on the first two of these values will be tested. And now I do seriously wonder why I bother when it’s so much easier to bribe a doctor to claim that I nearly died on that day so they’d let me write the retest. Is that what will let a good student get the marks he/she deserves? Then may dishonesty prevail!

So much for my ‘faith’ in my values. And as for ‘toil’…ha ha ha ha!! Sorry, I can’t help laughing. I don’t think hard work pays either. I studied for the test and for this retest. I made notes like how I would’ve in school. The love for studying that wore out only at the end of my prolonged board exams had finally returned! But why?

Its not worth it. No one expects a BSc. Student to study at all. Mediocrity is ok, lack of detailed understanding; even less than my 12th standard, is ok. (My ‘intellectual frustration’ even caused me to tell a teacher that I couldn’t be given handwriting practice as a substitute to learning, and bunk two of his classes.)

But my point is that this world is full hypocrisy. Every system is full of it. The only thing one can still, maybe, believe in is the individual’s inherent humanness. That’s what I’m calling out to.

Hey teachers! You know me! Would I bunk a test without a valid reason? Don’t you know me even that much yet? And hey controller of examinations! Firstly why do you have such a long title! And if you don’t know me cant I be ‘innocent until proven guilty’?

Why are all of you so distrustful of sincere students? Why are you all so stuck in your ‘formal world of system’? Can’t you be human?

To hell with the marks…just be fair.

For the sake of ‘faith’ and ‘toil’.

No comments: